Saturday, February 10, 2007

Zelda is too Scary for Me

At least that's what Alex says.

The last few days I've been playing about 45 minutes of Zelda after the kids get up, since I finally got past the infernal fishing stage that stalled me from advancing in the game. It's a bit of a trick that once you get, it's not a problem. But if you don't know the trick, it can make you very angry and make you throw stuff at cars, like blades of grass or bursts of carbon dioxide.

Anyway, the kids have been interested in it for the most part, having me in doggie form and then in Link form, except the character Link has been changed to my name, and my Horse's name is now Glue. Anyway, I'm going around as the dog and all that's cute and whatnot, and then as Link I get to swing at the giant plants and spiders and trolls, and that's all fine. But I came into one of the tunnels and there's this hugish spider, red, life-size in comparison to Link (well, quite a bit bigger I suppose), and a not very cartoonish. I slayed the bugger no problem yesterday, and all that was fine, but today I had to replay the level a bit, and Alex got a little flustered and held his face and said, "No spiders, Daddy. It's too scary for me! Game is too scary for me!" I told him it wasn't real but he didn't seem to hear me because he was turned the other way with his hands all over his head, so I did what a responsible parent would do.

I put on a kids show in the dining room so I could play a little longer in the living room.

Don't judge me. I'm terminally ill.

So, that one's out the window along with Call of Duty. It's funny, I'm not that much of a Zelda fan, not much of a fantasy, RPG, Strategy kind of gamer, but Zelda's alright. Enough action and enough interest to pull me through the text and puzzles, and most of the time the puzzles have relatively practical solutions, not like some asshole puzzle that the ancient people of Annoyingland concocted to prevent the Unchosen Ones from getting to. They just make you look at the problem, and then figure it out. Very sparse with clues. So, it's quite fun and I'm enjoying it a bit.

As for the kids, I did my part as Daddy today and played with the kids earlier. Got some footage I'd like to upload when I get the time, they were having fun playing with us this afternoon. Tomorrow we're going to take the kids to Uwajimaya to see some of the Chinese New Year celebrations, with the Lion Dance the kids should be pretty entertained. As for me, getting out of the house once in a while should be good for me. Get some activity with the Nikon and I should be on my way back to being a semi-normal human being.

No comments: