Friday, March 14, 2008

Horton Plans a Trip to Coos Bay

As an indirect inspiration, blogging on the phone has also made me crave blogging on a regular computer. Oh, the speed of which I can input data! So much faster, and bigger! The possibilities!

So, I will come out and recommend that "Horton Hears a Who" is a really good movie, probably destined to be a classic. What sets it apart is really its timelessness - no pop references, in jokes, or potty humor. It really is something when you watch a kids movie and there are no bodily humor jokes. There is physical humor, but it is carried out rather brilliantly. The voice acting is actually quite good, whereby even though it's Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell doing the main voices, they disappear into the character completely. If you don't mind a little subtle spiritually and faith undertone, I'd recommend it as a solidly good comedy. I was however, slightly embarrassed because I did catch myself laughing out loud by myself, even though the cinema had a small crowd of Moms and their children. I guess I'm the unspoken demographic.

The movie was after we had some stellar brunch at IHOP, which is somewhere we haven't been in probably years - at least for me. I had me a steak omelette, black coffee with sugar, and a cigar followed by some puppy kicking. Maybe not the latter two, but man, it was a good breakfast. The bill was stellar too, party of four and it was 45 smackaroos. But it was worth it. Once in a while it's good to know that you're alive by eating your weight in protein.

After some grocery, I did some more planning for the road trip to San Francisco, and with us taking the scenic coastline route, minus the many expected stopovers, I reckon that it'll be a 24 hour drive, broken up with a stayover at Coos Bay, Oregon. I think that's where we'll stop over, mostly because of the name of the city. But after doing some planning, I started to panic more and more about the potential cost of gas for the minivan that we'll be renting. Then the thought of all that driving started to scare me some more. It really is one thing just doing the drive with your wife or some friends, but toddlers is an entirely different experience. I suspect dramamine, portable DVDs, and stern, crazed warnings from the front seats will be in order. Sigh, I'm exhausted already. But thinking about Summer, the white sands, and it's more okay. Definitely bringing the laptop though, just in case... something.

No comments: