Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Zen Moment

So I was in the kitchen, just thinking about myself, what the hell I'm supposed to be doing and whatnot. Thinking about how I'm lucky in the sense that I have a lot of interests, but none of them really define me per se.

I love Macs, but I'm not in Terminal plugging away at code or buying every new iPod that comes out or going to the conventions in San Fran, even though that might be cool. I love photography, but I have an entry level DSLR and pretty basic lenses. Although I was doing some mental math in my head while washing out some dishes and realized that my meager 500 dollar camera, after two different lenses and a speed light, comes in barely under a grand. Oops. But hey, I'm not buying glass that's 800 bucks. Crazy.
I love gaming, and yeah, my newest system is a Wii, but I don't have anything considered next gen graphics. I don't have to buy new games when they come out, though I have exceptions. Paper Mario is looking really fun right now. I think the whole concept of Paper Mario is appealing to me because I envy the idea:

If I came to a problem I couldn't figure out, just draw a box around myself and voila! I'm in another dimension, and I can just walk around the problem. Now that's problem solving.

I also love movies, but unlike my good friend up in Alaska, whom I secretly envy because he has a DVD collection that rivals the library of a small town, I don't really buy that many movies. Now if you knew me, you'd say, "Well, no, you don't buy them..."
But you know, I don't go out to see movies anyway. Except this Friday when I subject myself to Grindhouse. Before the Weinsteins decide to split it into two movies.

Point is, my passions have the same level of commitments as my skills. I'm not great at anything, just okay in a lot of things. I think about my zodiac, which is Libra, and I think that's mighty representative of my personality. I try to seek a balance in the things I do, and although I think I often fail miserably, I still think that that's embedded in me. I don't want conflict, and I try to make peace.

Enough philsophy for now. I've got to exploit this free hospital internet. Whee!

No comments: