Friday, January 19, 2007

The First Visit to the Dentist

Even though today wasn't exactly a family outing day, it kinda turned out that way anyway. We had eye appointments early in the morning so we left the kids with my mom while we went for our exams. My eyesight's about the same, though he told me I had a big optic nerve - .7 it was. He'd like to see .3 for my age group, and for comparison, .10 was batty blind. So, that wasn't great news, but he wanted to me to keep track of it. So I am.

We decided to get the kids before going to Lenscrafters, but we had to leave Lenscrafters for their very first dental appointment! Knowing that if one kid saw the other in the chair first would not bode well, Alex went first, and I guess that he was really good about the visit. They even got to clean, x-ray, and get flouride treatments. Zoe got a little frightened, and she was apprehensive anyway, but I think it's just too many strange things for her. She was really cute because she was maintaining a rather civil but frightened attitude. The hygienist would ask her if she wanted the different flavors and she went from saying, "Yes." to "No." Her sad little "no"s were close to tears, but she didn't cry. She didn't get too awfully far into the checkup, and when it came time for Alex again, I don't think he was ready for it. He put up a little resistance by saying, "I'm tired, Mommy. Sorrrrrry." But overall he got through it fine.

We finished up at Lenscrafters after that, and I was officially cranky from that point on. Glasses for the both of us was $753 out of pocket. Once the reimbursement processes I'm sure it'll be a little cheaper, but man - nothing like spending a lot of money that makes me cranky as hell. This is why I don't seek healthcare. I'm not even sure if I'm that excited about the frames. I wasn't very sold on the ones I got, but my wife said they looked good, and the girl said they looked good. Afterward we found out we both liked the other better. Oh well. At least I won't have "birth-control glasses" anymore. It'll be more like, "maybe he can walk my dog for free glasses."

The rest of the day was pretty normal. My wife and I like to play this game whereby we put the kids in the wrong beds, and treat them like they were each other, tucking them in, and then pausing - and then going, "Hey! You're not Alex! Hey! You're not Zoe!" And man, they get a kick out of that. We've also been singing the wrong words to songs and Alex and Zoe gets a kick out of hearing that Old McDonald had a dinosaur. They attempt to correct their silly parents but since we're so silly, it doesn't stick.

We also watched "Idiocracy" on DVD. This Mike Judge film got buried during its theatrical release because it satirizes some big corporations without changing their names. It was a pretty good film. Not Office Space good, but better than Talledega Nights, for lack of a more appropriate comparison.

No comments: