Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Phone Call

My wife called me on the sidekick today and I couldn't figure out how to answer the darn thing. I have been using it as a data and email device, and it was almost novel that it could also be used as a telephone device. I did eventually figure it out, but it hurt like hell when I had to pull it out.

Audio podcasts have been a huge thing for me lately, and one of my new discoveries is "A Prairie Home Companion: News from lake Wobegon." It is available from iTunes as a podcast for free, and I highly recommend it. Essentially, it's a series of stories, humorous and tragic, fleeting and insightful, about the fictitious characters from Lake Wobegon and their secret lives. The podcasts have been responsible for me getting a lot of queried looks from co-workers, because I just enjoy the stories so much.

A string of burglaries have hit this neighborhood in the past week, 7 homes broken into through their windows, sliding glass doors and front doors. It comes from a relatively reliable source, one of our neighbors is a cop. Anyhow, judging from the details, it seems like it could been kids doing it for thrills, since it isn't terribly organized and don't go for computers or electronics. This gets me very paranoid, so we went to Home Depot to look for implements of sorts. We found some window stoppers but I don't know if they'll do much. Perhaps banana peels and thumbtacks are a better way to go.

No comments: