Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Bit About Movies

Last night my wife wanted to go on a date, since everybody was home. So we decided to go to the movies, and she was curious about Cloverfield, but I was really itching to watch "No Country for Old Men." And in typical Coen Bros style, the movie is top notch. Javier Bardem is just a complete badass in it, more menacing than most villians in my movie memory. There's such an air of evil and unpredictability about him that he's walks around like the Grim Reaper himself. I highly recommend it although if you're looking for tidy endings, don't expect one in sight.

Following up with the anime front, I finished "Tokyo Godfathers" and although it's an older movie, I highly recommend that one as well. It's a gem and a testament that all anime isn't about wide-eyed characters in sci-fi premises. This is a comedy about three homeless people, a gay man, a middle aged guy, and a teenage girl who suddenly find themselves tasked with finding the parents of an abandoned baby girl. It ranges from touching to laugh out loud funny at times, and it's certainly worth a look. There are so many little moments that sometimes I find myself missing them as I read through the subtitles.

Alright, now a bit about the kids. They've been polar opposites lately, Zoe's been easy to converse with, happy and carefree, and just fun to be around. Alex has been... not so much. We're hoping that it's just a phase, but he's walking around like an Id with a chip on his shoulder. He wants things his way, has selective hearing, and gets incessant about his demands. His infamous thing right now is that after the movie at night, he wants to listen to the music at the end of the credits. In reality, a parent will know that he doesn't really care who the animator's caterer is, he's just stalling for bedtime. But when we turn off the TV once the credits roll, he will bawl out loud as if you just told him in an instant that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Chocolate Flavor weren't real, but also in my freezer. He will turn a perfectly okay evening into a high stress situation whereby he won't calm down until he gets his way. Of course, this gets me absolutely livid to the point of unreasonable and irresponsible, and he gets more worked up. It's a last ditch attempt of control by him at the end of the day, but he doesn't know that it's because he's tired, he won't get his way, and he'll never win this fight.

Yeah, he's been a little tough lately, not listening to general instructions or being obsessive about toys. He'll want toys he can't have, food he shouldn't have, and do things that he shouldn't do. He probably was like me when I was little, a little boy wanting to be an adult so that I could do whatever I wanted to do. Of course, this all sounds grand when you're a kid, but then when you're an adult, you just want to revert back to being as oblivious as a child.

Oh, another thing that's been giving me a lot of enjoyment, other than the PS3 and it pretty pretty graphics, (Uncharted is one of the nicest looking game I've ever seen), is something seemingly out of left field. Get ready for it, it's NPR. That's right, National Public Radio is making my days at work 100 percent more interesting, since there's so much time to zone out and listen to the same songs that I have, instead I listen from everything from movie reviews to satire, stories and news, and even a great game show called, "Wait, Wait, Don't tell me", whereby the grand prize is a voice greeting from the announcer on your home answering machine. I listen to them as podcasts, so I can start and stop them whenever I need to. But it's kinda sweet because I get to go outside my own existence, and I suppose it's a little like college whereby I get new knowledge everyday, which keeps my brain happily stimulated.

Well, time to plan the day with the family. Hard trying to keep it within budget too.

No comments: