Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Desperate Measures

Well, our dwindling funds and my slow spiral into insanity made me do the unthinkable today. I applied for two walking distance jobs, at a video store and at a movie theater. I know I'm over-qualified - I knew that when one of the questions were, "Are you over 16?" and they didn't really bother to list if there were any colleges attended. But I figure if nothing else pans out, I'll still have something embarrassingly minimum wage to tide me over while I look for something more substantial. I would at least give them six months or something. And free movies can be a perk anyway.

---

To much of my chagrin, I went to Game Crazy today to pay for my pre-order of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii, and they gave me the dumbest excuse - That the vendor ships the game on the day it is released and they won't get it till tomorrow. Yes, that completely betrays the point of actually having a release date for a product. So I called Fred Meyer because I thought they might have it, and they don't. C'mon, guys. It's a release date! Next thing you know, I'll go to see Transformers on the 4th of July and they'll say it'll be the next day - they're shipping it from L.A. Silly. I gave up because I didn't want to run all over town looking for a copy. Looks like I'll just have to wait till tomorrow for a copy of this AWESOME game.

I'd admit, in the last week or so a couple of my friends have expressed interest in getting a Wii for the exercise, and to tell everyone the truth right now - I don't get that much exercise from the Wii. The excellent "Wii Sports" is a blast - but it's much more fun as a group activity. Doing it yourself seems like, well, doing it yourself. Much like playing a fighting game by yourself - it ain't bad, but you feel like there's something missing.

But RE4 is exactly what I've been waiting for - even though it's technically a 2 year old game that's a port from Gamecube. But free-rein aiming, a bit of the old slashy-slashy with the Wii Remote... it's all good. I'm not a big horror-adventure guy, but that game sounds like it'll just cheer me up.

---

Alex's got some sort of bug - his appetite isn't intact and he's got a little bit of a temperture. I've got the allergy headache, so my head's somewhere else. Seems like the guys are out of it in this house. Hopefully it'll go away soon.

---

Finally watched "Pan's Labyrinth" after reading about all the acclaim, and I'd have to say that it was a really good movie, but was somehow marketed as something different. I think the fantasy part of it was played up a lot in the ads, and yeah, it's a big part of the movie, but the true essence of the movie is far less fantastical, and actually quite grim and dark. But definitely a good one to catch in your lifetime.

---

June 29 is somewhat a big day. iPhone's coming out. Sicko is coming out. And Ratatouille is coming out. I'll only be able to indulge in one of those.

1 comment:

neonvirus.com said...

am i bad for already maybe seeing sicko? hey, a job is a job, goodluck with whatever you get dude. and working at a cinema or something would be fun, i wish i could do that, i cant, hows that? i live in a country that wont let me do things like that. it sounds funny, but your lucky!