Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Adventures in Hair Growth

I don't really know what prompted it, but I've just been letting my facial hair go crazy. I'm not particular fond that look per se, never looked at another man's stubble and wished it upon myself, or equated facial hair as a sign of masculinity. In fact, I didn't really think about it but a lot of my pallies do have facial hair - Brendon, Dansen, Cody, Jay... I just never really thought of it. I think my two main reasons for continuing this path of reckless hair surge is that I'm curious as to what I'd look like, without employing the use of a Sharpie, and that I probably want to look different for a role I'm thinking of for my new film. Yes, I imagined myself in my own film, though it's a pretty smallish role.

So far, the response has been 50/50. My mom asks me constantly why I haven't shaved, and to use an equivalent word for her Cantonese description, it's "icky". The direct translation is more like, "makes your flesh shrivel up", but I don't warrant it to be quite that bad. My wife doesn't mind - in fact, she's curious herself as to what it might end up being. Maybe a sailboat. Or a finely trimmed animal hedge.

Anyone who's looked at my hair growth will know by now, I'm not exactly follically gifted. I'm not balding or anything, but I tend to grow thin strands of sparsely laid out hair. So I'm looking less like Burt Reynolds and more like Fu Manchu, or Pai Mel, or any of those stereotypical Asian villains from exploitation films. I keep telling myself that it might improve into something a little more substantial - only time and reactions from other people's faces will tell.

I do have a certain level of obsessiveness with my hands, so I will play with my kidtee a lot. So, it's not fully grown, so it's not a goatee. Ha ha. I'd spend the whole time poking it, stroking it, bouncing it. Like some weirdo. I also don't think much about what it really is, like a goatee/mustache combo, but I'd think of it as my chin and lip bristly-bristly, which is what I refer to it with my kids. They don't seem to be too bothered by it in general, though Zoe sometimes try to pull hairs off. That's not that much fun.

Well, that's enough about my hair.

----

Yesterday we also went ice skating for the first time, if only those wankers didn't cancel their public skate for something else. Instead, we were outside doing some miniature golf, which we had planned to do anyway. It was fun, though 26 bucks is quite steep for a family of four. The course wasn't spectacular, but it was just right for the kids. A breeze for adults though. Golf turned into more like astroturf shuffleboard for them, they'd scoot the boot towards the hole or just pick up the ball and walk it over and place it right beside the hole.

And that's it for me.

No comments: