Saturday, March 3, 2007

No Withdrawl for Dansen

It's interesting to note that I haven't been blogging as much this past week because I haven't been editing. It's sad but true, I do more blogging as means of procrastination, and when I'm busy trying to get my shit together, I stay pretty busy and I don't really have time to reflect and blog.

----

Well, at least the DVD is burning now. It's 3 in the morning and I've got 3 more to burn, but I have to get the DVDs in the mail for tomorrow. They were supposed to go out Thursday, but DVD Studio Pro has to act like a punk - I've been dealing with some pretty interesting problems, all of which are probably too boring to explain. But basically the software puts this limitation that I had to figure out how to accommodate in order to get my DVD written. At 2 hours 15 minutes, it's one of the longer DVDs I had to make, and it was getting me plenty pissed because I have been encoding since Monday. It would come out wrong, and I'd do it again. Encoding takes quite a while, about 2 days or so. I know, yours may not take as long, but I opted for a two-pass, high quality, dual layer encode. Anyway.

----

So instead of editing, I've been doing other productive tasks, such as taxes, which I hate with a ferocity and usually avoid altogether. But it's just that I have this downtime and it needs to be done anyway, so I hacked at my mom's taxes first, and then went on the painstaking task of back-documenting all my business expenses - stuff that I don't keep any track of because I'm a lousy bookkeeper. Anyway, further proof that I am a terrible businessman - I made about 12 thou doing videography, which sounds pretty promising until I tell you that I spent about 7 thou trying to equip and maintain it. So that left about 5 thousand to support my family for the whole year. Yeah, I'm no good at it. I gotta get out of it.

Part of it was trying to start up my business, and with that came a lot of new equipment purchases. I mean, I actually scrimped on a lot of stuff, believe it or not. I purchased a Panasonic camcorder, for crying out loud. And FYI, it shoots like one too. I bought everything pretty reasonably, and now I'm just more equipped than the average bear. I think it was my secret ploy to equip myself with filmmaking materials in order to write it off. I dunno, it would be a tricky sneak if I didn't realize that I could've done the same thing under a different business venture, like independent filmmaking.

-----

I feel bad for the kids tonight. I wasn't the happiest Daddy for them, because of the whole DVD thing (but seriously, you should be able to author a DVD like that, right? Stupid DSP.) and I was a little snappy with them. But luckily children have this great capacity to love unconditionally, and to live moments as they happen and not hold grudges. Days like today I really wish I was done with videography altogether so that I could maintain a regular schedule. These few days I feel like I've been working non-stop, though mostly on taxes, not videography.

-----

Well, I'm a little zoned out since it's past my usual bedtime, so I'll just go watch a movie or something. Might watch United 93.

No comments: