Sunday, February 18, 2007

Yesterday was a Clown Day



Too lazy to post individual photos, so I'm sticking the whole flash slideshow on the page.

Anyway, we weren't going to go out yesterday, but since the weather was so nice and the sun was beckoning us to go out and get its warm goodness, we went to Chinatown to catch their celebration. Last year we went to the same thing, and it was overcrowded, with no place to sit, and we didn't have fun at all. So we decided to head out earlier this year, went down there about 40 minutes before it started, only to be turned away because they said they're not letting anyone in till noon.

We trolled around until then, and then got some nice photos outside of the lion dance. But even though we stood in line to get in, after the crowds gathered for the lion dance, the line was just absolute garbage. By the time we went it, all the seats, which weren't many, were already taken. So we did the same annoying thing we did last year, which was to set the kids on top of our shoulders, to watch the performances. And like last year, because Alex is like 40 pounds, I got tired really quickly, so down he went. And we didn't last past ten minutes. I got irritated because the venue did not ensure that there were enough seats to accomodate the crowds, and it's not like it's a surprise. Seriously if they moved the vendors out of there they could have more seating. It's a stupid, stupid setup.

So we wandered around Chinatown, but everything was just crowded and too boisterous. At one point I was crossing the road, and some idiot decided to go in reverse, always hitting Alex and me. You couldn't get a seat anywhere to eat. We killed some time, and then tried the train station again, but again, no seating, and left again. We headed toward home, but went to Marymoor park so that the kids can get some playground time.

After that, we headed home while the kids were watching a movie, I laid in bed with my iBook waiting for photos to download, and I fell asleep for like 3 hours. Needless to say, I woke up very confused, and hungry for human flesh. After devouring one of the neighbors, I decided that hey, I'm just screwed for the day. So I proceeded to not do any work for the rest of the day, perhaps the best decision I made all day.

-----

Not very often do I find the need to talk about celebrities' hair, but Britney Spears just made everyone's jaw drop yesterday morning by shaving her head. And then watching the video footage of some eyewitness made me sad, because the people in the crowd were acting like high school hecklers. They were saying the usual, "oh my god" and other expressions of disbelief, but when she came out to go to her car, people were saying things like, "How do you like your haircut" and just mean things. I feel a little sorry for her, and I don't know why she decided to shave it all off. But I did that once too, in college. Just was tired of it all. I was sick of trying to look a certain way, and I didn't want to deal with my hair, so I just shaved it all off. It was kind of a spiritual cleansing in a way, a screw you to what I thought people were thinking of me. It's a rebellious middle finger to trying to maintain an image, and I'm sure she wasn't just doing it because she was being wacky.

Would I shave my head again? No. Did I regret doing it? Not really. After that I pretty much didn't obsess as much as to how I looked like. I still do, but not as much.

No comments: