Friday, September 12, 2008

A Friday Post

My wife decided to make a couple signs of thumbs extended, with "do not" circle pasted on top of it. Her idea is that it would curb some of the thumb sucking, since he's already 5 and she's 4, and he's going to have to rid himself of that habit before school anyway. So Alex saw the signs this morning, took our some paper and drew a rudimentary thumb, and then told us that his sign says that thumb sucking is allowed according to his sign. It was pretty cute.

So my iPod arrived yesterday, a day earlier than expected, from Shenzhen, CN, which I found out wasn't Connecticut. It is kinda interesting that the product is so hot that it's shipping directly from China. I guess I seldom get that sense of newness from other companies. My impressions are mostly good - Glad they got rid of the split screen business with the menus and the cover art. You could either have it on the bottom or not at all. Also, it is really slim and light. I had it in my pocket and couldn't even tell it was there. I think the headphone jack is placed in an odd place at the bottom, which means my iPod is virtually upside down when it's in a pocket. The screen is really tiny for video, probably fine for talking head podcasts but just plain ridiculous for any movie or TV shows. I'm probably going to have the toughest time with that alone. The 8 gig storage is nice, since I have about 4 gigs of songs I use and the rest can go to podcasts, audio and video. The shake to shuffle feature is cute, don't know how functional that would be in real life. Looking forward to the road test on Monday when I work. I think the size of the video will be negligible when I use it for work, since I'm only watching video for 15-30 minutes at a time. But just in case, I encoded some movies for the PSP. The other thing that I found a little annoying was that my old charger and speaker doesn't charge the new iPod. What's up with that? Oh well.

The interesting footnote to my iPod story is that my mom spotted it this morning and asked me how much I got mine for. I was a little worried that she might talk to me about my spending, but when I told her 150, she asked me if it came in any different colors. I showed her the colors and she said, "I'd like the purple one." So I stored that into my mental Xmas shopping list. But then she handed me her debit card and wanted me to order it right then. It's extremely rare to witness my Mom having technolust, but it was kinda cool at the same time. So I went to the mall and picked up a purple one (which looks blue under sunlight) along with an annoying expensive USB/adapter charger. I might wait on opening it and see if a certified alternative pops up.

This afternoon a coyote just wanders up the backyard and sits down in front of our yard. Wilbur just simmered with a whimper while the coyote sits about, looking at us, watching me take photos of it. The coyote is injured and mangy, but I think still afraid of people. It walked off after some time.

Anyway, got a lot of iTunes management to do. Acquiring of new songs, playlist management, and now also for my Mom.

No comments: