Friday, September 5, 2008

A couple new toys

I have to be somewhat obsessed with Rock Band, despite being hopelessly incapable to operating the foot pedal up to par at the "Hard" mode, I'm still pretty hooked on the drums. Anyway, I invested in some drum pad silencers for my drum kit - which sounds odd, but if you've ever played the original drum kit, there's a "thok thok thok" sound when you strike the surface, which actually can get a little loud and distracting after some time. Especially while playing guitar with someones drum, one can barely hear the music sometimes. The new pads are pretty sweet, definitely masking the sound quite a bit, and also making it slightly bounicer.

The other toy finally arrived in the mail today, my 4 disc Blu Ray of BBC's Planet Earth. That's 550 minutes of hi-def beauty, effectively turning me into mashed potatoes whenever I look at it. You could actually just run the series and leave it on for the worlds more beautiful screensaver. I've skimmed through some bits, and man it looks freaking awesome. Gonna have to resist just sitting there and watching the whole damn thing.

So this is on top of some pretty big things coming up, including Alex having a semi celebration tomorrow with a family gathering, followed by Sunday at the Puyallup Fair, and then on Tuesday, i'll resist checking the web for updates and just watch the keynote when I get home.

So here are the factors to consider. The nano will likely either get a memory boost to 8 gigs for the core model, or a price drop in order to create some interest in it which might wane because of the iPhone. In either case, its a strong contender for me. For a second and less likely option, if the touch drops to 199, it might have to be considered. The app store essentially turns the touch into more than just an ipod, but the price is still hefty. I dunno, will have to be patient and wait it out. My 512mb mp3 player is really not cutting it.

Struggling to stay awake. Gotta clean up a little before I watch 10,000 BC. Don't know why, since I've heard terrible reviews about it. Oh good, Snoopy just ended.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I didn't know they made silencer's for the drums. Would be worth picking up for sure. I heard that the drums for part 2 aren't as loud, and I have a bunch of reward zone certificates, so I might pick up the bundle when it comes out. Then I will ahve the new improved drums and 2 guitars. Kind of lame that it is coming out for 360 first, I am still waiting for the PS3 version.

Planet Earth is for lack of a better description fucking amazing. I was sitting in Best Buy a while back waiting for a friend to use the restroom and they had it on one of their display TVs with nice comfortable chairs in front. I ended up sitting through an hour of it, and it convinced me I needed to upgrade my TV. I bought an HD-DVD player the next day and an HD tv a few days after that. And ordered Planet Earth right away. I don't really like nature shows on TV or anything, but Planet Earth is stunning.