Sunday, June 8, 2008

Franklin

It's been a rough week, so I haven't really been posting because I keep waiting for the news to get better, but I think it'll be what it is.

When we came home on our vacation, I was carrying Zoe in at 2am and Franklin darted out, like he does every so often when people come home at night. He does it often enough to not cause any concern, so we didn't think much about it.

Well, the next day my Mom reported hearing a cat outside her bedroom window, and some birds sqwaking about. We searched around the perimeter and my wife saw some gray fur, and a red stain on the grass. It was probably about a cup of blood or so, but then we got worried. Perhaps the birds just pecked him in self defense.

Posters went up, wife started asking door to door, and visited shelters, and we got a few speculations from people she told. But I didn't think any of it was feasible, just wild speculation from people who enjoy embellished stories.

On friday, I was driving to work for some overtime at five-twenty in the morning when a pack of two gray dogs crossed the road in the distance. It caught my eye because they were travelling in packs, and I've never seen dogs built like that. I managed to catch a second glimpse before they disappeared into the woods.

Its hard to imagine that any animals pose any threat to cats, but after seeing them, I held off on telling my wife for a day before I asked her what she thought happened to Franklin. Then we had to grasp that our chubby friendly Franklin was probably taken by a coyote. We still get sad when we think about it, and we're still checking shelters, but we're fairly certain he's gone.

Sucks.

No comments: