Sunday, October 7, 2007

A little something something

My wife mentioned yesterday that I never write on the blog anymore, and that much is true. Fact of the matter is, not much is really going on. Work, home, tired. That's pretty much about it. And stuff. I buy a lot of crap that I don't need, if that's worth noting.

The latest victim to my lust is the LocationFree Base Station for my PSP. Haven't gotten it yet, so I couldn't tell you exactly if it is everything it's cracked up to be, but basically it's the same as a Slingbox. It takes the TV cable signal and transmits it over the internet to your laptop. The only reason why I was looking at the Sony LocationFree was because it utilizes the laptop, sure, but it can also use the PSP as it's portable device of choice. So I could be at home watching episodes of DVR programs while the kids are watching a DVD, or I could be watching in some coffeeshop TV from home, right on the PSP. Unfortunately for Dansen, I cannot share this joy because the LocationFree's limitation of one license per unit means that I cannot share my TV with him in Japan. Sorry buddy. The other thing is that if I'm within range of the unit, the PSP will form a direct connection via Wifi to the PSP, bypassing the internet, providing a better streaming experience. Hopefully I should be getting this later in the week.

I worked a 50 hour week last week, and wouldn't you know it, Friday was the busiest day of the week. We were just pushing out units so quickly and doing orders left and right that I was just exhausted when I came home. And of course, the effects of that is directly felt on the kids, which I feel absolutely lousy for. Perhaps in the near future, my wife will be able to work lesser nights because honestly, I'm just too wiped out to deal with the kids patiently on some of the nights. On Friday, I dozed off after I got home before dinner, after dinner, and then went to bed early. I have become a parent I don't want to be.

Today in the morning, my wife and I decided to take a walk to the nearby store just to kill some time and we ended up having to walk home in the rain, which wasn't that bad since it wasn't too terribly cold. So that was interesting. I'm glad I didn't take my camera on the walk with me though. I would've spent so much time stressing about that.

Well, here's one thing worth noting. Last week at my work, there was a former astronaut who was brought in to give an inspirational speech and he was really something. Of course, most of the stuff that he had to say was told in a universal sense, with very little direct implication of our company and what it does for business. But he talked about things like teamwork, aiming high, and one of his stories really inspired me. Basically, this guy was born before space was a possibility, and he had wanted to be an jet pilot. But his eyesight had prevented him from doing so, so he became a goose instead, the co-pilot that sits behind the pilot on the jet. When the space program took off, one of the policies stated that to become an astronaut, one would have to be a pilot to qualify, which he didn't. But he went ahead and prepped for it anyway, tacking on airtime, working in that direction to be space bound even though the pilot policy stood firm. For 10 years. Then they changed the policy and suddenly this guy was qualified to do it. And he flew in several missions to space and basically he said, he worked toward a seemingly unachievable goal for 10 years and in the end, his laser sharp focus, his commitment, and his ambition allowed him to achieve his lofty goals. That was really something.

Anyway, it's bedtime for me soon here, so I better get the gears going.

1 comment:

neonvirus.com said...

so you becoming an astronaut? wowsers! hehe you sounda bit depressed, u ok? sucks i cant see some tv myself, you sure it doesnt mean only one logged in at a time? cus how would you use your laptop and your psp? if its only one login at a time i could still watch from japan hehehe but recently i found gyao.jp which if you are in japan gives you most all the entertainment streamed at you, for free.. nice stuff