Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Work is weird

I'm sure the company is a viable, great company, despite the fact that it's been bleeding money all year because of a government issue right now. It's evidently a Fortune 500 company, but if you brought a camera crew to where I was working right now, it would be easy to mistake it for some production line in Asia or something. Times like yesterday when a couple White folks were supervising and helping all the other colored folks how to move things - it just felt odd for me.

I wasn't much help today, when a couple of my co-workers wanted to move some stuff around. The supervisor asked why we wanted to move stuff around, and I mentioned that it would make the process more efficient. And he looked at me as if I had just mentioned some magic word, so he said, "ok."

But this company, man, it's just a odd situation all over. How weird? It's my third week, right, and so far I have replaced someone who's left with no training. Then after about 3 days of doing that, a new replacement comes in and they want me to train the guy. I'm like, "This is my third week. I don't know anything." Nonetheless, I trained him, and he's tremendously careless about the work he does, ignoring my instruction which could possibly lead to a lot of issues in the future. Anyway, he latches onto me for things to do, but it's like - there's nothing to do. Production was halted for about two weeks, and they decided to move the whole department to a new area, so it could be out for another week. I've had 2 and a half weeks of being at work and I've honestly done maybe 3 days of real work, and maybe 4 hours of work that's related to the position I actually applied for.

To further distract me, I noticed there was a voicemail on my mobile while I was on my brake, and it was another contractor job, this one as a video game tester. They wanted a hasty interview ASAP, but since I'm working tomorrow, I stated the first day I was available for interview for Friday. Still haven't heard back, but it started the gears in my mind for wanting another job. One that actually puts me to work.

Yeah, and to make matters worse, my co-workers are quite... different. One is a conspiracy-spouting, government disbelieving, police hating dude who likes to brag about his different girlfriends. And the new guy I'm training has a 10 year old kid (he's a year younger than me), and he just got married in his homeland 2 months ago, and didn't tell his wife that he had a kid after the marriage. When asked why he didn't mention it, he said, "Well, then you wouldn't marry me!" Naturally, my disdain for the both of them is probably not well hidden - I tend to ignore them for the most part unless I have to.

The two regular guys are pretty nice to me, and I like them ok. One of them has a distorted sense of time, always watching the clock and saying, "No, do it later, it's almost time to go." and it's like half an hour before quitting time. I had to demand rather insistently yesterday for my way when we were moving pallets, and he said "We'll fix it later."

"Why don't we do it right the first time, so we don't have to do it again?", I huffed.

I probably come across as really anal and eager to work, but really, it's just that little thing called a work ethic. When I have to spend 10 1/2 hours at a workplace, I'd like to leave with a sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, don't know what's going to happen right now, pretty much doing this thing day by day.

1 comment:

neonvirus.com said...

hahaha you sound like you are having a trippy time at work, and hey, remember every life experience can be captured in the brain and used later for scripts and what not!! i also honor your work ethic, i also like to do a good job, and sometimes my coworkers give me crap about that too, so i know your pain! goodluck dude, and keep updating about the job, i find it fascinating!