Monday, July 30, 2007

Blogging from Work, sorta

Writing this (well, transcribing now) entry manually at work to evade the snoops that might monitor my account for unauthorizzed surfing or blogging for that matter.

Anywho, work is boring as ever. Nothing is going out of shipping due to some authorization issues, so a lot of folks are doing housekeeping. many trying to look or stay busy, and word is tomorrow we'll be getting 7 or 8 more new contractors.

Been entertaining finding another job, except it gets tough trying to look for jobs while working. Something inevitably gets ignored. But there's just too many slow days here, and not enough conversation to keep me engaged.

---

My uncle is visiting from Woodstock, Canada, doing a road trip across Canada and the US. They stopped over to celebrate my nephew's first birthday, and is spending today with my Mom doing the Seattle thing. Space Needle, Duck Tours, that sort of thing. My uncle and aunt are pretty nice folk, and it's my first real impression of them, especially him. I knew him when I was younger of course, but at that age uncles are just your father's borther who gives out red packets during the holiday and not much else.

But getting to know him was kinda nice - he has a lifelong love of photography, so the conversation's easy. He has some interest in video as well, though I think my quick attempt to sway him to Apple was fruitless. It did get me thinking about how my life would've been different if my father was around to help coach, encourage, or even just been around to listen to me. Spending time with my uncle certainly gave me a little preview.

---

Back at home. Boy, work certainly has it's fair share of characters. So the new guy has the kind of attitude that he wants to save some work for tomorrow, even though there's an hour of work left on the shift. I ignore him and continue working anyway, and I think out of guilt or whatever motivated him, he brought over the other receivers to help. I didn't really need the help, because with every project, there's always the possibility that too much help can actually be counter productive. And did they put that to the test.

One of the guys proceeded to form a human chain, from the pallet of freight to the shelf. It is literally a step or two from the pallet to the board, and there was going to be a four man team working on it. I broke the chain and said something smart alecky, and just stepped back. It's just ridiculous. What topped it was that guy who wanted to quit an hour early then talked about how lazy other people were. I am close to tearing my freakin' hair out. I might just be job hunting. Lower pay doesn't seem as bad as bad company.

---

I'm a proud Daddy! My wife started training Zoe on the potty today and she hasn't gone the whole day while wearing underwear. She sat on the potty and played some Nintendogs. Then a few minutes later, she went again. Then a few minutes later, I asked her because she was being touchy, and sure enough, she went on the potty. Yay for her.

---

So yesterday was my wife's birthday, and we spent a majority of the day at my brothers because it was my nephew's first birthday. But then my wife and I went to see "The Simpsons Movie" and it was exactly what I wanted. It was like a super-sized episode, except it was actually more cohesive than the usual episode. The plot was actually quite coherent, and like a fine-tuned Pixar movie, every line, sight gag, and joke is carefully timed, well-placed, and never disappointing. The crowd enjoyed it as much as I did, and the PG-13 rating is perfect for the movie. It never felt like they were just trying to skew it older just for the movie - the jokes that probably bumped up the rating was well deserved.

I actually thought of Dave because there's a whole chunk devoted to Alaska, so that was fun too. I won't disclose any jokes - they are just great to discover on your own. The only thing I'd advise is that there are indeed a little bit of stuff after the credits, though having seen the after credit sequences, it's nothing major you'd be missing if you end right after the movie.

One more thing, the movie actually is pretty touching in one spot.

No comments: