Saturday, June 9, 2007

Friday Night

Well, Saturday morning, actually.

Some rants, some raves.

---

I don't really want to jinx it by mentioning anything, but what the hell, I throw my caution to the wind and shrug. I applied to a position Thursday afternoon and in a couple hours, I had an appointment for today. I took the tests today and I guess I'm upward to 66 words per minute with a 1@ error rate, and my listening skills are just barely passable. I have another appointment on Monday to get a sample of what they do, and to take a tour of the facility. It's a call center for customer service, and it's going to be a contract job, possibly up to a year, and possibly a way into full time if they don't mind seeing my face. All and all, it's not exactly what I went to college for, but it's not too shabby.

Here's the catch - I was offered a full time position with a travel agency, with bonus and travel benefits about an hour after the interview with a travel agency call center, but I turned it down. It was slightly lower pay, but really, I don't have that much of a jonesing to work for any call center. But why this call center?

Because it's the House Mario Built. I won't mention it by name, mainly 'cause I don't want it searchable by Google, but yeah, I'm psyched about it. There'll be a 10% employee discount, which isn't much, but the store will have lots of goodies that aren't available to the public.

But it's still too early. I suppose if I'm touring the place, I've got a toe in the door, but we'll see how Monday goes. I wouldn't mind moving up this company, that's for sure. Who knows, even if nothing pans out at the end of it, it'll still be interesting to say that I've worked there. It's like being in Candyland.

---

So I'm unofficially part of the population that's happy that Paris Hilton is headed back to jail. I guess why I'm even wasting my time talking about this stupid girl is because I feel that justice, in part, has been enforced. Although I've never been affected by drunk driving, I'm actually very critical of people getting a slap on the wrist when it comes to that. I don't think there's any excuse for it, and I don't care for the fines or light jail time for drunk driving. I look at it this way - if you took a gun, walked down to the market and waved it around while you were drunk - you'd get some jail time for endangering the public. But for some odd reason, when you're behind the wheel of a 3000 pound vehicle going 35 miles an hour, you're not as liable.

Anyway, I know Paris wasn't in jail for drunk driving - she was driving on a suspended license due to drunk driving, and it was her second time caught. But she has a blantant disregard for the law and it's despicable that the sheriff responsible for letting her out justified it to overcrowding and a medical disorder. C'mon, doesn't he recognize a tantrum when he sees one? Furthermore, she managed to make Martha Stewart look like a saint. Evidently when she was hauled back to prison, she was crying and calling for her Mom.

Say goodbye to her career.

---

Well, I had more on my mind earlier, but I guess it fell out of my head.

No comments: