Sunday, May 20, 2007

Pan, Interview, Alaska

Watching Disney's "Peter Pan" with the kids right now and I think my PC radar is going off the freakin' charts. They're at the "injuns" camps singing "What makes the Red Man red?" and Peter is hussing it up with the Chief's daughter. Other than the injuns/cultural shock, there's that ever present sexist undertone. The mermaids, Tinkerbell, and all the other lasses in the movie get jealous and clamor over Peter, a scoundrel who is on the sadistic side. Right now Hook is trying to persuade Tink by playing on her jealousy. Not to mention some of the Piratey behavior, like Hook shooting a sailor for singing, talks about hanging, slitting throats... My brain's freaking out.

I guess in a way it's slightly better than Pirates of the Carribean, which has managed to glorify pirates to some unholy cultural phenomenon. It's become family friendly so much so that last year (or the year before) Seafair adopted it as a theme. Maybe in the next century or so they'll be having terrorist themed events if the right movie is made about it. I don't personally dislike pirates, I just think people going absolutely gaga about it is a little silly. They've just taken the raping and pillaging and murder out of pirating and made it into some kind of rock star profession. Odd.

But anyway, I may not be recommending this 50 year old movie to the kids again. It's a bit disheartening because all the kids movies I used to watch are now so... wrong. Peter Pan, meet Little Mermaid in the seldomly watched movie pile.

---

I'm nervous about the interview tomorrow, and in all likelihood my moustache (I spelt it correctly today) is going because I don't want to chance it. Oh well, I'll miss playing with it more than the look of having one. It made me look a bit different, though I don't know if it improved my looks. Some of the photos I took today with my short hair makes me look almost like a short sighted sausage.

I have to reprint the resume that I submitted in to the company, and I am not kidding, but the date on that resume was last January. That would either mean that they haven't had an opening for my coveted position since then, or that it might be based on my second resume, which was for another position. I dunno which I prefer it be.

Oh boy, I hope everything goes well.

---

I drove my mom to the pier this afternoon, where she'll be taking a cruise ship to Alaska for the next week or so. She might stop by to see Dave. Maybe not. But it does feel a bit odd to know that she won't be around. I've kinda gotten used to having her around, even if some days I don't really have much to say to her. But I hope she'll have fun on the cruise. She's never been.

Well, the movie's ending, and the kids have to go to bed, and I have to go about the resume. Bloop.

No comments: