Monday, April 2, 2007

Sad Fool Who's Hopeful.

The Sad

I read a lot of news, mostly to keep myself informed with the world but mainly to look for things to do other than edit, and I come across some truly sad things. Everyday, CNN.com has at least one really depressing thing about a parent being a bastard to their children, or bad things happening to children. I imagine journalists do get jaded and callous because it's the only way to deal with all these everyday tragedies. Anyhow, it wasn't on CNN, but last night when I was stalling bedtime (yes, I procrastinate going to sleep too) I caught the tail end of "American Experience" on PBS, about David Vetter, a.k.a. Bubble Boy.

Now like most of my generation, I only know about "Bubble Boy" as a movie that John Travolta was in, and there was some stupid teen movie and was featured in Seinfeld. Didn't really think much of it, and I knew very little about it.

But after watching the documentary and also reading about it, I have to say that it's one of the saddest stories I've ever read. David being put into a sterile isolation 20 seconds after he's born because he had effectively, no immune system, and living in the plastic space for 12 years before a failed bone marrow transplant ultimately ravaged him with hundreds of cancer tumors. Reading about it was sad, but watching the documentary and seeing the photos of the poor boy, who looked polite but genuinely sad in the photos, and listening to all the people who have helped and watched over David, and even his Mom, whom only got to touch her son only once before his death, was just terribly sad. I couldn't imagine how any of them had cope with this for 12 long years, but the photos of David looking into the camera, resigned and sheepishly hopeful, has been lingering in my mind.

The Fool

Of course, today's April 1st and though I haven't played any pranks, I was a victim of one nonetheless. I admit, I was a little baffled at Google announcing their "Paper Archive" feature on their email, I have to say that I only bought it because I read it last night, not realizing that it was indeed April 1st, and that the cost of printing and mailing your documents was free due to ad placements on the copies. Why is that plausible? Because they offer so many cool features free anyhow, why not?

The Hopeful


I'm highly skeptical of anything I read today, and nothing on the web has confirmed this report, but it could be plausible... though likely not. Being such a big fan of Grand Theft Auto, it is a little bummer that the new GTA will premiere on 360 and PS3, and the spanking new trailer sure got my saliva going. It stated that because of the hardware limitations of the Wii, the port will be downgraded of course for the Wii. It isn't a rumor that Nintendo's Reggie has been courting Take-Two to bring over some GTA action, but right now it actually being on the Wii is just me hoping. It would be really cool if they did though.

No comments: