Tuesday, April 17, 2007

2X Monday

Today's theme was double the fun. When my Mom sent me out for KFC, it wasn't until the drivethrough until I realized that I hadn't brought my wallet. Luckily, I was able to pull out before we had another baby. Wait. No, luckily, I hadn't ordered yet, so I drove home, got my wallet, and went back to KFC.

Then later that night, I went to Blockbuster, and was a bit excited that I had rented the newish Godfather Wii game. So I went home, pulled up the chair, and opened the case to see Wii Sports staring back at me. I called them and I had to bring it back, and I even had to explain to them that they've been ripped off, that Wii Sports was a literally free game that came with the console, and their new game was the last customers problem. I ended up with Marvel Alliance or something, which wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be.

----

Watched Children of Men yesterday and thought it was really good. So it came as a surprise to me when I went to the IMDB forums and some people, probably kids who cite Bloodrayne as their favorite movie, completely pan the movie. I think that the movie was one of the best yet, a very great sci fi movie without the sci-fi elements that usually turn me off the genre. Just trying to imagine a world without children or babies being born is enough of a premise. But seeing the long takes that are sometimes aided with CG, sometimes not, but never getting in the way of the movie, is just a involving experience. If you haven't seen this movie, go see it. It's a movie that says so much about humanity in so little words.

---

So I've been trying to settle on a photo management/editor alternative. Just thinking that I should do something with some of the photos that I have, and having used Aperture to correct a bunch of photos that I shot during yesterday's 18th birthday party that my friend's daughter had, I thought that I should probably do more with some of the great pics that I do have.

Right now I use iView Media Pro, and I do like it. Great organization, fairly responsive, does a variety of tasks that I do like. However, the image editor just sucks, and even if I could edit it in Photoshop, I would have to sort it back into the batch. It's not impossible, but not easy either.

I liked using Aperture, but that thing is such a memory and process hog. Using it just slows everything down, and I can't even use it on the Mac Mini because it's simply not fast enough. Furthermore, it's got no discernable organization tool or indicator that tells you how much space you've used, so backing up's kinda a pain. It's a little too much for what I do, but I do like two things about it. A strong, non-destructive editing interface built in, and versions. I am able to mess around and keep versions and masters separate. That I like.

iPhoto is for babies. I don't use that. I always think I'm missing something but like Aperture, it's a memory hog with very basic tools.

Anyway, just talking out loud.

No comments: