Thursday, March 15, 2007

Unfortunately for you, I have Bad Memory Retention

I had this huge life-reaffirming revelation that I was going to share, but since I have forgotten it and replaced it with some random facts about cheese decay, I have this to share instead.

So we watched Borat last night, and I was a little psyched to see it, with all the hype surrounding the comedy. And my response is in no part that I'm 30, and I'm old, and I've got the mentality of an 80 year old. I do have the grouchiness of an 80-year-old, but my comedy will cement itself between the 14 year old and the 30 year old. Anyway, enough with the age analogy. Here's my take on it. I think Sasha Cohen is talented - the man stays in character completely throughout the film, never wavering, the method actor in so many ways. His humor is incisive, daring, bold, fresh, and quite hilarious. However, I think his tactics are highly questionable. He baits the unwitting Americans into "agreeing" with his Antisemitism jabs in an unfair light. The ones that come to mind is the gun and car salesman, both of which are simply trying to make their sale while a camera is shooting. Those guys are simply trying to make a living, and they weren't in any position to really correct a would be customer and jeopardize a sale. If I was trying to sell a Hummer, would I chide a customer who wanted to buy it to plow down people? Probably not.

I think there are different sorts of comedies, and the kind that I prefer is if everyone is in on the joke. A similar film like Jackass sits better with me because despite some flairs of exploiting the general public, these guys are usually just pranking each other or themselves. They don't usually involve unwilling participants to the point of tarnishing their public image.

I was expecting the film to maybe expose some of the hidden prejudices that all of us have inside of us, and I think I didn't like the way it was brought out. The college guys and the rodeo guy probably had it in them, but the other people were pretty much bamboozled. At the end of it, the funniest scene in the whole movie wasn't any ambush on some unsuspecting Americans trying to do their job. It was a hotel fight scene between Borat and his manager.

------------

Oh yeah. So I got a hold of Norton Antivirus, and I ran it on both my Macs. Took the whole day to scan the hard drives, but at the end I found ZERO viruses. Oh yeah. That is why we roll with Apple. Both computers have been active for a year plus, and I'm a web junkie.

------------

Almost done with one wedding, so that's cool. Then it's two more, and I should be done. Until one in April and possibly one in June. Sigh.

------------

Alex's face looks like a minefield. He's got an obsessive personality, and he's scratching his face and it's got wounds on three or four spots that look like the last half of Fight Club, instead of the 1st pretty half that he usually is. Don't know why he's doing it, but I read somewhere that binding his hands together or duct taping his face borders on child abuse.

------------

More later. I'm out of ideas.

2 comments:

neonvirus.com said...

but fortunately for you! ! i would be too brain dead to figure out if you wre telling something deep.. hehe.. btw, i like those 70s remix thingiemabobs, kind of like some of those puffy amiyumi songs we used to play on the radio!! :)

i wonder what is causing his scratchy thing_? skin allergy? weird...
poor guy!

PS: oh hey! I got adobe premiere elements (elements means baby version, with silly tutorials you gotta turn off) but its not bad, reminds me a little of final cut pro when i finally get all the "easy to use" menus turned off and get it back to "power user" mode... i bet the full ($1200) version is killer! this one ($140, but kayo got me a $50 student copy) isnt bad though... ever used adobe premier elements?

neonvirus.com said...

PPS: i just went to your wedding biz home page and it said "we are in the process of closing up shop" or something... you really going to stop the wedding filming business? why? if its too much work, just start doing it more cut and paste? quicker simpler? and oh, whats next??
sorry for so many questions, just wondering...