Saturday, January 31, 2009

Getting Ready... For Hell!

Somehow while I was getting ready for the day, I was thinking about what a freewheeling code of ethics that I have to live by. In a way, I do envy the religious folks who have a predetermined path to follow in life, that even the consequences are spelt out for you. Was listening to This American Life a while ago about this pastor who stopped believing in Hell. Still loved and believed in God, his Word, the way of life... just not eternal purgatory. He didn't believe that God would cast innocent children who never even had the chance to read the Bible into Hell. I'm sure there was some footnote about Innocents, but that was akin to the line of logic I've subscribed to, in that the judgmental, exclusive sinning Christians will still get a free pass as the decent Middle Eastern merchant who believes in a different God but had lead a righteous life will be cast into Hell.

My original point is that I find myself constantly having to determine what the right thing to do is, since I didn't have a father nor a religious background to guide my actions. I try to follow the straight path, and of course it forks into some casual indifference, some selfishness, even some ethically gray spots, but I always have to catch myself and snap back to what I perceive to be the righteous path.

Then I washed my face and hair and was back to worrying about how my hair looked.

No comments: