Friday, June 1, 2007

Happy Anniversary to Me!

17 years ago today, came to the States. I always make a semi-deal about it, even though it really doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm like Horatio Alger except I haven't really done anything with my life.

---

Last night, I became the last adult in the world to finally watch E.T. I've always known how good it was going to be, and I knew enough about the movie to know that characters' names in it, the actors in it, and an assorted smattering of trivia like Reeses Pieces being replaced after M&M's forbid the use of their candies, or that guns were digitally replaced in the reissue a few years ago.

If you were watching the movie with me, you could tell my reaction by the number of times I was wiping the tears away from my face, but even before the weepie ending, I was already won over by the steady direction of Spielberg, who used restrain and style so wonderfully to tell the story. The script was also awe aspiring - it never pandered to the audience, cheesed up to win over laughs, or took any cheap efforts to please anyone despite being a very pleasing movie. It treated the characters with the wonderment and respect that I haven't seen in a family movie, probably ever. And John Williams. That man is a musical god. The music fits the movie so perfectly throughout, without standing out, but during the major scenes like the bicycle chase scene or the ending, the music rouses up emotions that literally forces your body to react. And also, the actors were great. It's interesting to note that the day before, we had watched Music and Lyrics with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant, and I think a huge part of Drew's appeal, especially after watching E.T., is that she really hasn't changed much. That's not like her acting hasn't matured, but Drew today definitely has the same kind of sparkle, energy, and soul that she had when she was six. But Henry Thomas holds his own, no problem. The whole movie was just a fantastic experience. The kids liked the movie too - they were spouting out story theories throughout the movie, like, "E.T. wants to see her Mommy, huh?"

I just don't know if the kids will watch it for a while. I can barely handle it myself.

1 comment:

neonvirus.com said...

first blood to ET, i love your range in movies, awesome! yeah ET is a great movie (even if the famous moon scene is ripped from Doraemon over here in Japan, they did it first) but yeah, not saying ET isnt a kickass movie though. I never thought about gender though, is it a SHE? and wow, your kids are getting like.. growing up and stuff, if they can spout theories!! wowsers
ps. the "word verification" for this entry is "oohja" which just made me giggle for some reason haha