Thursday, May 3, 2007

Cold, Lost, and Waiting

Boy, that sounds so sad.

So I'm sick as a dog, although I myself have never met any sick dogs. What is up with that phrase? Why not sick as a leper? But yeah, I'm oozing all kinds of thick yellow goodness and I've got this constant headache that only goes away when I play with myself. Ha ha. Cheap attempt at juvenile comedy there.

----

I don't think any of my friends watch "Lost", but I do and I don't have much else to talk about, so here it is. My theory about Lost. I think this is the second last season - they met a while ago to plan out the rest of the show, and I believe that next year will be its last. Along with the lower than desired ratings, and the quickly evolving plotlines, I don't think they're going to try to stretch it out.

A popular theory about Lost is that it's redemption, and that it's hell. Recently, the past two episodes have given them outside insight that it is hell, and that everyone on that plane is dead. It's been thrown out there that it's a parallel timeline or universe, but I don't think that's plausible, only because it's never really been hinted before. At least not blantantly. My theory is that everyone is indeed alive, and are actually part of the Dharma Initiative. They signed on to resolve the big conflicts in their lives, and all voluntarily underwent something that puts them in a controlled mind state. I don't know, I'm taking "The Village" route, whereby a group of individuals have put themselves in a situation so that they could try to solve their issues. But I'm still curious as to how the series will wrap up. A lot of the characters are starting to resolve their haunted past, so that's why I'm thinking what I'm thinking.

-----

Although this isn't in the title, but I'm really looking forward to the rest of Studio 60 coming back and finishing up the rest of the first season. It'll only be four episodes, and the likelihood of a second season is very slim. But it'll be nice to have the closure. Too bad the series cost so much to produce. Otherwise it might have stood a chance.

Another show has caught my eye, and so far I've managed to miss most of it during broadcast. I've caught the rest either on iTunes or NBC.com, and that is "Raines". I've always like Jeff Goldblum - he is just a little off, a little ticky, a little weird, which makes him interesting to watch. But the show is great. I would suggest watching them in order - the last episode for the season was more procedural and less about Raines. But the first two so far has been surprisingly heart-wrenching - Usually on crime shows and police shows, it's all about how the cops and CSI solve the murders, and how smart and cool those cops are. The victims and their mourning families are usually cannon fodder - story devices that give our main characters something to do. Raines manages to incorporate the victims into the story, along with the people who are affected by the deaths, in a non-flashy, non-spiritual way. These aren't ghosts - they are pure figments of his imagination. The interesting thing about Raines is that he is quite damaged from the get-go, and he only seems to be getting slightly worse because people around him are questioning his constant conversations with himself.

I hope that it returns for the next season, because we need shows that are more like that. And something that I'm trying to explore. That after so many cop shows and lores about justice, we forget about the victims and focus entirely too much on the heroes.

----

My weddings are in a bit of a slum. I'm waiting for a reply from one so I can finish up their wedding, and really mad at the next one I'm starting because it's got so many camera dropouts that I can't even import the friggin' footage onto the computer. Sigh.

3 comments:

Atom said...

I am also really sick right now. I have prety much the worst cough I've ever had. And my ears have felt like they need to pop for about 4 days.

I just got done watching the last episode of Lost, and I think that they are playing up the hell thing way to much. It can't possibly be that easy. But I agree and I hope that next season will be the last. It would be horrible for them to stretch it out. Right now I still care what the hell is happening to them, but I can't imagine that I still will if there are a couple more seasons that are not quite as good as the ones we've seen so far. Even this season is a bit of a dissapointment, but it is also the first season that I have watched as it was coming out and not on DVD, so that might have something to do with it.

I am not sure what I think is going on with them, but I think that your theory makes sense. I really hope though that they are on an island, and it isn't some sort of Vanilla Sky ending or something like that (even though I thought that movie was great the first time watching it).

dave

Atom said...

I just read a thing on yahoo, that said that Lost is going to go for three more seasons. Each season will be 16 episodes and will run uninterrupted. I didn't want to read any more for fear of spoilers. But it's cool to know that they probably have a plan and are not just goin g to stretch it out forever.

Diego said...

Three years seems almost a bit too long, but I suppose at 16 episodes, it seems about right...9hit76