Thursday, March 8, 2007

Tech Post

Don't get too excited, it's not as techie as you'd expect.

Funny thing today, some courier delivered a package today - it's the handle to our microwave, which had broken off and is now only attached on one end. Because it sorta came with the house and it's one of those above the stove microwaves, we couldn't just replace the darn thing. I found the handle online for 55 bucks, and had to fork it out because, well, it's not my microwave.

Anyway, the guy rang the doorbell, and then left. One of the good things about this neighborhood is that they tend to leave packages at the door, not always requiring a signature. So I kept listening for the door to open downstairs, and it never happened. I went downstairs and asked my wife who it was, and she said she didn't know - she didn't open the door. I got the package and then proceeded to poke fun at her, because her reason for not answering the door or even peeking at who it was was that it might be Jehovah's Witnesses. Or maybe a murderer who wants to shoot her. So I told her that since she was watching TV with the window open, whoever it was saw the TV on and the back of her head just dandy, so whichever sinister figure it was could do it from the window if they wanted to.

------

So yesterday, I saw some videos on youtube that were movies that were made from "The Movies" game, which is some simulator for Hollywood, like "The Sims". I was interested in it initially, but hey, storyboarding and making mini mock-ups of my feature? I was stoked. I spent some time downloading the demo on the PC downstairs, and then it didn't run because the graphics card in the PC was impotent. So I thought I could get an emulator for my Mac, and run "The Movies" on my Mac.

I know, if I had thought it through... Anyway, I got my iBook going, running "Q" which was a free emulator, and was in the process of installing XP when I thought about running PC programs, and how slow it would be, and how I don't really like running PC programs anyway... and I stopped it and trashed the whole idea. A perfect way to waste a few hours.

------

Cnet or TUAW, someone noted that there was speculation that Apple might adopt taking on a flash hard drive for a subcompact computer, which would be interesting, I think. Don't know if I would go any dinkier than an iBook, which is interesting to note. When my friend Jay saw my iBook, he said it was tiny - which I said, yeah. Why wouldn't it? I mean, the big difference between the American market and the Japanese market is the demand for the sizes of notebooks. Japanese commuters like the compact ones, and for whatever reason, Americans like their notebooks to be tanks. It's just odd to me. I do like bigger displays, but I just hook mine up to a bigger monitor, and then just run it like that. Final Cut Pro is a bit of a pain on the iBook, which is why I gave up on editing just on the iBook's display, but I like the iBook's size just fine. Any bigger would seem like defeating its purpose of being a laptop. Well, who knows, maybe Americans have bigger laps.

-----

Trying out Camino instead of Firefox. Safari doesn't handle Google apps well, like Gmail and Blogger, so I use that for email and blogger. Seems okay, I suppose.

Yeah, I'm pretty much just killing time.

No comments: